Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sunday - My Happiness Project

I went downtown this past Monday, a trip to Yorkville with my girlfriend. This adventure made me, by the way, happy...

As we were meandering through the shops we saw all manner of fun "stuff" and in a paper store we found cocktail napkins with sayings that made us giggle and guffaw. I found one napkin set and exclaimed to my friend "Look at this, have you got paper?, a pen???? I have to write this down for my blog on happiness." The cocktail napkin quoted Ben Franklin as saying "Wine is proof God loves us and want us to be happy." Well, I hooted over that one!

Happiness that day was drunk with the wine of the sunshine, of the conversation, of the laughter, and even of the serious moments, of the deep connection with my very dear friend.

It was a good day, a day to be remembered, and treasured. A day of happiness to packed in my trunk of memories to be brought out and reveled over on a darker day.

As I sit here mulling this over, I am thinking that perhaps that is part of the secret of happiness. Perhaps, happiness is a beautiful necklace, stored in a box of some kind, that has been beaded one by one with beautiful jewels, exquisite jewels, placed ever so lovingly on the necklace of my life, to brought out and enjoyed.

The pearls of happiness strung on my necklace have come from irritating, seemingly unending circumstances that I had thought I could not bear, but upon retrospect have brought the happiness of knowing that I am perhaps a wiser and gentler person because of those very irritations.

The diamonds of happiness on my necklace are the perplexing, crushing loads that have brought me great and deep despair, but yet have yielded I hope, the sparkle of compassion and kindness to others.

The aquamarines on my necklace blue with the delight of happiness I feel when I swimming, splashing, and laughing with the ones I love. The feeling of rolling over onto my back and gazing into the magnificent azure of the sky dotted with fluffy clouds imitating anything your imagination can conjure up.

The green of emeralds. Solid, enduring, life-giving friendships. Each one unique, and precious; some come and gone, some grown stronger, forged through immense pain and great euphoria never to fade as a distant memory.

The incredible deep blue of sapphires. My tears, rivers, oceans of them...wept for myself, my children, my family, my friends, and the world. Didn't a great Book once say that those that sow in tears will reap in joy! Tears are jewels of both our sorrow and our happiness embedded into our very beings.

The murky quiet beauty of an opal. White with glints of pink and blue almost pearl-like but more colorful than that. The opal is the mystery in my life, the not knowing, the whys, and the hard, granite questions. The glints of color, the pinks and the blues and the zig-zag of gold weaving patterns through the opal - is the happiness of knowing that I don't really, really have to know the whys and wherefores after all, and that I can live with happiness in the midst of mysteries. I may not always like the mystery, but I can be happy nevertheless.

The ruby, blood red and brilliant.
Family. My heart and soul are poured into these so very dear to me. They bring me the most spectacular happiness and the most devastating grief. This is a jewel I would never be without, no matter what the attending sorrow. The joys, the connections, the bonds; these have stretched over time, distance and circumstance of every kind. Almost wordless are the feelings I have for my family. In my family I find love, deep and strong. In my family I find meaning, laughter, and pure joy. There are at times fierce anger and moments of conflict so quake-deep it seems beyond repair, yet repair it does. This jewel glitters on my necklace most brightly I think.

So I think I'll end here...hang this necklace on my neck, not tuck it away....remind myself of all the jewels of happiness that I have.

I am a rich woman.

What about you?

4 comments:

  1. As the one who journeyed with you through that "charmed" place called Yorkville, I couldn't have described it any better. It was a "happiness" day for me after a terribly upsetting weekend!!

    Thank you for ridiculous laughter, wishful frivolity and heartfelt conversation. The things shared over a table in a trendy little cafe seem even more delicious and decadent but no less profound than if they were shared in our kitchens.

    It truly was a day of escape and I think that is part of happiness too - the ability to escape the reality of our lives and live in the surreal if only for a few hours. What keeps us in check is knowing that the escape is temporary. As I said to you in Holts, "if we did this every week, without thought of the cost, that would truly be a charmed life". To live in the escape permanently is to deny Jesus the priviledge of molding and shaping us into Him.

    While all the stones on your necklace are beautiful, the one I identify most with at this point in my life is the opal. Forget that it's my birthstone (lol), it's the mystery, depth and change of colour that makes it so enticing. We never know what each day, hour or moment holds, but we know who holds us.

    Last Monday is a day that will be held under lock and key as something to be treasured. Said all that to say I am rich too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Auntie ~ I so enjoyed reading this post. The jewels of your life are plentiful for sure, and I hope you know that you have passed on the richness of your smile, your kindness, your deep emotional connections and your motherly love to me on many occasions and in many ways.

    There are often unrecognized treasures lying at our feet. All they need is a little polishing, dusting off before they can shine...

    As you continue through your life I hope that you keep adding many links and gems to your chain.

    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful entry - I very much enjoyed reading it =)

    ~Lee-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awfully well written, much to ponder and consider. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete