Saturday, May 15, 2010

Good Days...

Good days unfold like the spring sunshine warming us after the cold, cold winter.

They start with a gentle awakening, drowsy with sleep, eyes half mast, holding the hand of the one I love.

I get and up greet the day. I pull on my workout clothes and head down to exercise, "walk, walk, walk." I love this newfound routine (now on my fourth month). The blood pumps through my veins and I am invigorated. I am building up strength and becoming more fit. It feels good.

Saturday morning breakfasts. They are a family affair. No rushing to get out the door. We just talk and work together, usually we make bacon and some kind of eggs. Our daughter's favorite is pancakes but this morning we are going for eggs over-easy, bacon and grits (grits are hubby's favorite and hearken back to days of his grandmother living with them.) Grandma (hubby's grandma) was originally from Florida and this is definitely a southern twist to our Canadian breakfast.

Today is our daughter's party day. This is the day she celebrates with friends. So streamers have been hung, balloons blown up, party chips and pop purchased. A friend has made an "Animal Crossing" cake for her. I go to meet her husband to pick up the cake. It is lovely and has been carefully packed for transportation purposes. I drive home oh so carefully, turning corners gingerly so as to not overturn this beautiful creation.

Unlike Monday, the sense of the frantic, hurry, hurry is not here. All that we have to do is measured, sure, relaxed. Hubby takes daughter to Tap lessons, while I stay home to put the finishing touches on decorations and food preparations. Last minute cleaning is done and we're ready.

The friends arrive one by one and the party goes off well... I congratulate myself silently, we've had games, crafts, food and lots of fun. I am pleased about this. It is good to celebrate and nothing mars the day.

One friend stays behind. She'll be here for a sleepover. Hubby and I clean up and then we are able to relax, put up our feet and read together. The kids play happily in the basement. Hubby dozes off and I enjoy my book.

It's been a good day. And I am grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment