Thursday, July 22, 2010

Holiday Happiness - Happiness Project-better late than......

I am late in writing this because we have been on vacation...

Now THIS is happiness...the sun, the sea, the ones I love (well some of them anyways), a perfect setting, delectably delicious food. No cooking for me or any other home-type responsibilities...what a lovely break.

I am not complaining, I enjoy being who I am (for the most part), and my life work, taking care of family and home and connecting with the community through my responsibilities at church are all things that are a good fit for me.

But I am loving this break. And this vacation is such a departure from the ones we usually take that it is pure delight.

We are sitting in the sun, reading our books. Zipping around the lake on the seadoo wind blowing in our hair. Paddling in the paddle boat with my little girl. Slicing through the water, feeling the cool refreshment lapping around our skin like gentle caresses. I don't have to think AT ALL about meals, or laundry or the packing and unpacking everything from linens, to food, to clothing, to medicines, etc., etc., etc.... We brought only clothes and swimsuits, just what we need to play in and we are fun, fun, fun.

I learned on day one that attitude is everything...the weather started out a bit iffy...but with gratefulness in mind and a determination to enjoy my holiday, it was like the attitude translated into the weather and everything became the loveliness I had wished for.

So, sometimes happiness just is...everything is the way we dreamed it would be.

I know that there will be storms ahead, that perfection is really just a myth, but for today, I am enjoying the bliss of now...and I am very...happy.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for reminding us that Happiness is an Attitude!!

    Changed Attitude - changed life - sometimes it's the only thing you control.

    Charles Swindell has a classic statement on attitude.

    "The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life, Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have and that is our attitude...I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned so much as I've been investigating happiness and I'd have to absolutely agree with Charles Swindoll's statement...I have begun to experience how very, very much my attitude affects me, my life and the people in my life....Thanks for the quote...It's great!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's something interesting about the word ATTITUDE.
    Put a number value beside each letter in the word ATTITUDE (the number value being the place in the alphabet)
    A= 1
    T= 20
    T= 20
    I= 9
    T= 20
    U= 21
    D= 4
    E= 5
    __________
    100

    Could it be that ATTITUDE is maybe 100%???

    ReplyDelete