Sunday, July 4, 2010

My Happiness Project -Sunday report - Pollyanna and me...

This week I experimented with gratefulness.

Each day I searched through my mind and the events of the day and worked on coming up with 5 things to be grateful/thankful for.

It was an exercise that taught me something. You can find things to be grateful for even if you've had a rotten day. It all depends on your focus.

Really, it was much like the renowned Pollyanna's glad game. Pollyanna is of course, the fictional character from Eleanor H. Porter's books. She is the child of missionaries who had been taught by her father to play the Glad Game, in which one goes about "finding something to be glad about in every situation." He had started the game with her when in a missionary barrel all that there was for her was a pair of crutches. There were no toys, no dolls, yet her father instructed her to "be glad" that she didn't need the crutches and so turned the potentially sad turn of events into something positive. This became a lifelong lesson that Pollyanna practiced and also taught those around her the value of looking for the proverbial "silver lining in every cloud."

Pollyanna has been mocked by many...but really, her outlook is a gift we all could use. It doesn't mean ignoring or denying the negative or awful things in our lives, it simply is resetting our focus and finding the good that can be found if we will indeed look for it. As Pollyanna's author said, "When you look for the bad in mankind (or in your life/or your situation- my words ) expecting to find it, you surely will!"

Will you be a bee or a vulture? Bees buzz around looking for the beautiful flowers, getting the pollen to carry so more beauty can be spread. Vultures fly around, circling in the air looking for the death and decay. Both the bee and the vulture find what they are looking for. So it is with me...it's all in my perspective.

What will I choose?

I think from this week's experiment with gratitude, I'll keep up with my own version of Pollyanna's glad game. I will choose to look for the things I can be grateful for...

It follows then, that I will be, well, happier.

Calling all Pollyanna's...

Join me.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Pollyanna!!! How many times did we watch that movie together?? I have such fond memories of curling up with freshly popped corn, pillows and blankets galore and watching 'chick flicks' with you!

    And, I too think it is all about perspective, and just your post today has made me alter my perspective!

    I am going to play the glad game right now...

    (I'll report back!)

    I love you Auntie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Positive Ruminations!

    Thanks for the reminder...

    Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea. Ben and I have been trying to tell each other one thing a day we are grateful for. I love listening to Ben's answer and thinking about the wonderful things in my life I am thankful for.

    Lovely post, as always, Judy.

    ReplyDelete