Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Angel sings in back seat

Last evening I was driving our daughter to her appointment.  It was rush hour.  We were going in the same direction as the bulk of the traffic.

And last night traffic was terrible.  It was raining,  there had been an accident somewhere and the cars were inching forward - brutally slow.

Now I like to be on time.  I had left earlier specifically because I knew it was rush hour and it was raining.  So, I start to get upset.  Concerned.  I do not want to be late.  This appointment is important.

I call my husband and ask him to call and let them know we were on our way, that the traffic is bad.

Yet, still I fuss, sigh, feel anxious.

I  put on a Christmas CD and the music is playing, Christmas songs.  Our daughter is in the back seat singing along.

The words suddenly penetrate the haze in my brain, sung by "Casting Crowns" and sweetly, high and clear by our daughter.  "Love is raining down on the world tonight - There's a presence here I can tell - God is in us, God is for us, God is with us, Emmanuel - He's the Savior we have been praying for - In our humble hearts he will dwell..."

Emmanuel, God with us. God with me.  In this moment.  In this car.  In this horrible traffic.  God with me, always.


I breathe deep...remind myself that it is O.K.  We are on our way.  We have done what we can.  We will get there, eventually.   We have done everything we could have done to get there on time.  We left earlier.  We called when we realized it would take longer than we could imagine.  I let go.  Breathe deep again. And again.

Trivial or important God is with me in all my moments.  Every single one of them. Emmanuel.  God with us, with me, with you.

And it took an angel in the back seat singing to remind me.








No comments:

Post a Comment