Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The Pastor in the Funky Sweater


We have started going to another church.

The pastor there is fairly young and wears funky sweaters – like tangerine orange and bright lime green.

The funny thing is: his clothes are a metaphor for the spirit he portrays.  His words are like citrus.  They are refreshing - bright, sometimes with a definite tang.  He opens the Word of God with a humble heart and a tangible excitement all tangled together.

He speaks from a heart that has been broken and a tenderness of heart that flows out of that –  and this brokenness is something that I can relate to; it makes the words fall softer on my heart.  The words, not new, but spoken with great conviction and great gentleness.  The words of God's love for me – that God is for me, not against me, that He is faithful and true.  That He always walks beside us.

I drink the citrus words he is speaking, they irrigate my heart in the midst of the desert I am walking in.

I am thankful that God finds unique and invigorating ways to speak to me - like using pastors who wear funky sweaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment