Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sounds in the deep of Night

I  am awake now in the middle of the night.  I think I hear the squeak of a door opening.  Everyone as far as I know, is in bed, cuddling deep and snuggled in , piled under blankets, warm and cozy.  I feel immediate alarm pulsing through my system.

But, I grow quieter still than the black of the night surrounding me.  I listen intently straining to hear, is there someone in the house? I want to wake up hubby, but I feel foolish, small in my mid-night fears.  You see I have an ear infection that will not clear up and when all is hushed, especially at night, I hear a high-pitched buzz in my ear as well as sounds like drum-beats, a virtual cacophony inside of my head.  It is disconcerting to say the least and now, I don't know if I'm "hearing" things or if indeed, someone lurks downstairs, squirreling our "stuff" away in some kind of burglarizing attempt.

My chest is tight with unease, and I try to practice deep breathing to anchor the escape perhaps of reason.  I sharpen my hearing, on guard, attempting to pick up any more noises that are not normal for this night-time quietude.

I toss and turn, and finally decide to brave the unknown myself.  I get up, wrap the softness of housecoat around me and head downstairs.

There is nothing.  And instead of chastising myself for these mid-night queries and forebodings, I feel only relief.  It is good to be safe and the sounds that sometimes torture the night are all realized as a part of my malfunctioning hearing.

I breathe long and deeply- again and again, assured that now I can return to the luxurious comfort of my bed and sink once more in peaceful sleep, my nocturnal qualms now put to rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment