Monday, January 9, 2012

Marking Time

Have you ever sat and listened?

 Have you listened quietly to the seconds - tick, tock, tick, tock?

Seconds that turn into minutes, then into hours, into days, into years and so on, and on and on - on and on.

Sometimes, I wish time would rush forward - that problems, worries and heartaches would fade away into distant memory. That events, blurred by the passage of time would loose their sharp corners, those corners that cut into your soul.  The cuts, that wound and bleed.  The wounds that wear you down, make you tired and weary, so very weary.

Often I want solutions, solutions NOW!


I agonize over issues that seem to have no remedy.  But this agony is fruitless.  It brings me nothing but more agony.

Time has become both my friend and my enemy.

I befriend time, when I believe that there is hope for tomorrow.  I befriend it, when I breathe long and deeply - look around and count the graces, find the reasons for gratitude.  I befriend it when I live and participate fully in this moment, this one, right now, then next and the next.  I befriend time, when I am not looking over my shoulder - ruminating again and again about the years that have brought me to this moment.  I befriend it when I do not borrow trouble from tomorrow, for today indeed has enough troubles of its own.  I befriend it when I accept where I am and let go of what might have been or what might be.

Time becomes my enemy when I focus on what I cannot change.  It becomes my enemy when I surrender to despair.  It becomes my enemy when I insist on instantaneous gratification, when I will not wait for the answer however long it may to take to come.  Time becomes my enemy when I shut my eyes to the beauty, close my ears to hear the music, and speak only of endings; forgetting that beginnings may just be around the bend, peeking over the horizon. It becomes my enemy when I do not stop to remember that there is a purpose, eternal and true.  It becomes my enemy when I fail to remember that God holds time in His hands.

He is the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End.

And He knows, He knows all that burdens me, all that weight on my shoulders, He knows.  He is the great burden-bearer.  And He carries me.  He lifts me up, holds me close to heart.  My Shepherd carries me.

 The Eternal, timeless One, carries me in His Everlasting arms.




2 comments:

  1. I have anxiously been waiting for a new post on my favourite blog :)
    It's funny that you wish time would speed forward, I often find myself wishing I could rewind time, sometimes I imagine a day or two, but sometimes I even catch myself wishing I could go back years or decades.
    Then I too have to remind myself that God does control time (and thank goodness for that , could you imagine otherwise, the mayhem...)
    He promises he will restore the years the locust have eaten, and He promise he will restore all things new and make all things beautiful in His time.
    His time , that is when our faith comes in to play and we must just trust Him and His timing. I am grateful that in the meantime we can rely on these promises to be true, because He has proven Himself to us over and over again. I am also grateful for friends that hold us up in prayer while we wait on his timing, please know that you have one of those, in me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nicola, you are a sweet-heart and I pray for you too....

    ReplyDelete