Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Rain of the Soul


Rain washes the earth. Comes down in a deluge, sluicing the earth with wet, cold fragrance. Fragrance of the fall. The end of summer now long gone. Fall, with it's frigid rain, a precursor of snow that may fall any time between now and spring's warmth.

I wish the rain could wash me - as storm fall of rain washes out a road firmly paved...wash away the pain, anguish, and confusion. Freeze-cold this emotional overload. This winter come early, no spring in sight. No warmth of summer's memory.

Could golden dappled sunlight melt the cares away, send them to oblivion? Could skies - bright hues of azure blue, take the blues from my soul?

What comfort is there for these moments; these rainy day moments - cold and stark? What about warm fires or a friend to sit with, a blanket and a good book, a puppy warm and snugly?

What medicine is there - an antidote for soul-pain?

A wise man once said, “A merry heart, doeth good like a medicine.” How to find merry heart in all this morass of emotion?

It is starts I think with looking up and looking out. Finding the many things that fill my life with gratitude. Thankfulness will be the salve, the healing balm for these moments trouble-filled.

I am thankful though it rages and storms, here I sit – cozy, warm and dry.

I am thankful that tomorrow brings new hope - new starts, new opportunities to find new solutions.

I am thankful that cold days make baking food extra yummy, the aromas, warm and inviting.

I am thankful for forages into the soul that show that hope never dies.

I am thankful for girl-child, who sits cuddled up beside me, love that never stops.

I am thankful for the power of loving touch, the quiet shushing, gentle stroking that brings calm out of panic. I am thankful that I could give this gift to child of mine.

I am thankful for moments squeezed out of busy day that husband brings home to try to help this little one of ours.

This is a good start, the shift in focus. So, I will carry on looking up and looking out. Being thankful.


No comments:

Post a Comment